Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cannon Beach

This weekend we went to the beach! Now normally when I think beach, I think sunbathing, swimming, hot sand and tan lines (for people besides me, obviously). This was my first encounter with a beach in the great north west where few to none of those things occur. But I quickly learned that different doesn't mean bad! Apparently the thing to do on the beach when it's too cold to swim is fly a kite. I have never had much success flying kites before but Matt's mom got us a kite so of course we had to try it. Turns out, when the wind is relentless that flying a kite is easy peasy.


We tried to see how hight we could fly it (top left: kite, bottom right: me) 




And then how low. Around here you can basically fly a kite at any altitude, as long as your string can reach it.


I love how sparkly sand is. Too bad it's hard to capture in pictures. 

This is Haystack Rock. It's the famous landmark around these parts. It was huge, and supposedly has puffins on it, though I didn't get close enough to see any. The smaller rocks to the left are called the needles. 


Around our hotel, the Inn at Cannon Beach, wild bunnies roam freely. We love them. The hotel itself was great too. They had lawn chairs for their guests to take to the beach which was very convenient as we had not thought about seating.


Whenever we needed a meal. We would wonder into town. The first place we ate was a rather old-looking place with an eclectic, cabin(and Christmas?)-inspired, assortment of decorations. They also had the daily specials and desserts printed on regular printer paper and taped on everything. Weird. Just my kinda place. As it turns out, they make the best clam chowder I have ever had in my life. Win. It was called Morris' Fireside Restaurant. I didn't take any pictures but here is one from the internet:
This was the view from our table


Close to sunset we ventured back to the beach for some hot cocoa and a fire.


Which, incidentally, is the other thing people frequently do on this beach. From where we were sitting, we could see at least 30 other bonfires.  





All in all, it was a fabulous trip. Despite the cold weather I still managed to get a sunburn (don't tell mom). I guess some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment