Tuesday, February 10, 2015

5 Things to do When You are Locked out of the House

We have the lovely convenience of living right next to Macey's grocery store. When I need something, I can just walk right over there and be home in less than 15 minutes. The only problem is that often times I am quite forgetful. I even have my sweet husband pack my backpack in the morning because otherwise I know I'll leave something behind. Such was the case yesterday afternoon, and I ended up locking myself out of the house, with a bag of raw meat that I just purchased. Luckily, my mom is our landlord so I could call her to let me in. No answer. Last semester I learned how to pick locks, so I pulled a pin off my bag and tried that. The darn thing was just too weak and kept bending in the lock.
After trying the door knob about 40 times just to be sure, I pulled out my phone to call my husband. The car was at home with me so he had to leave his work early and walk home to let me in. Obviously I didn't want to just sit around and wait so I found some ways to stay entertained.
My phone is NOT a smart phone, so I had no games or internet access. This is what I did instead.

Weed
No, not drugs. I actually started pulling weeds. In my leather, Nordstrom boots and flowy blouse, I bent over and started ripping them nasties from the ground. It had been raining a bit all day and the ground was wet and soft. Pulling weeds from soft dirt is actually extremely satisfying. I wanted to get down on my hands and knees and just go at it, but I didn't want to dirty my school clothes.
So, I moved on to the next activity.

Chase Neighborhood Cats
This one can be tricky for a couple reasons. For one, there are not always cats roaming around and for another, those little guys are literally impossible to catch unless you corner them. But, if you have a community with some outdoor cats and lots of corners, this can be a fun way to pass the time. I will warn you, however, that the cats that live outdoors are usually not the friendly, cuddly kind. More like the hissing, scratching, biting kind.   

Ponder
We all know that we need food, but what about food for thought? Usually there so many things to do and electronics in front of our face, that we don't let our brains dwell just on what's inside it. I am no less guilty of using my computer just about every hour of the day, but I was nevertheless grateful to be left only with my own thoughts. It's nice to take time to self reflect, to think about life, family, God, trials, forgiveness, your best friend who's having a baby today, your weekly schedule, or that pesky cat taunting you as is strolls along the other side of the street.

Visit Someone
Feeling neighborly? Live near a widow? Know a stay at home parent who gets little social interaction? Have a visiting teachee? Well go say hi! Everybody loves friends, especially if you stop in and offer to hold their crying baby, or help them make dinner, or even just show genuine interest in how they are doing. Service makes people happy, and it makes you feel good.

People Watch
When you are sitting in your cozy home, you have no idea how consistently people are coming and going. People walking dogs, kids on their razor scooters, and local celebrities (Jeremy from Studio C lives on our street) are all just doing their thing. People watching is fun, but people narrating is even more fun. Pretending that kid on the scooter is on a secret mission and his scooter is actually tricked out for warp speed and equipped with weapons brings the entertainment to a whole new level. Just have fun with it.

This is what my sweet husband came home to. Check out those weeds I dominated!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your very funny post! Locking yourself out of your home can be such a humbling thing. I am glad you know how to make the most of it. I recall waiting for a locksmith a couple of years back. I found a piece of gravel and drew a hopscotch grid on my driveway. It made waiting fun!

    Earl Mark @ Eastway Lock

    ReplyDelete